Travel Tuesday

Occasionally I'm going to have a travel-themed post because, well I do a lot of it. It might be a new travel item I like, a random tip, or a trip recap. It won't be every week, but when I have something travel-related to post.




First up, I saw these questions in Conde Naste Traveler (they asked the people who wrote article in the May issue) and thought these would be fun to kick things off:

1. Biggest Hotel Pet Peeve: Lack of plugs in strategic places. I need multiple plugs at the desk (laptop, phone, tablet) and by the bed. The best are plugs on the side of the nightstand or in lamp (not behind the nightstand--don't make me move furniture). More than once the closest plug to the bed was on the wall parallel to the bed, meaning I had to plug my phone in there and leave it on the floor, which once muffled the sound of my alarm and I almost missed my flight.

2. What do you download for long-haul trips? I make sure to have a few books on my iPad (a few because I'll inevitably not like one of them) as well as a good variety of podcasts. I rarely want to deep-dive into a podcast and listen to several episodes back-to-back, so having 10-20 episodes downloaded, everything from The Nerdist to Still Buffering to Ghosted Stories. I stay away from anything too news-y or topical since they're usually out of date within a week.

3. Best Souvenir from a Recent Trip: Cheese and the accompanying tote bag from Amsterdam. I didn't buy too many souvenirs in Amsterdam (studio-living and only carry-on luggage causes that).

4. What dish would you travel for? The crab dish I had at Galatoire's in New Orleans. That meal was now six years ago and it's still one of my favorites. And the macaroni and cheese at my friend's dad's restaurant in Houston. I rarely have it at the restaurant, I usually eat it at their house because they bring some home for me when I stay with them. It reminds me of comfort and family.

5. What's always in your bag? Earplugs and a sleep mask. I sleep with these 365 days a year and I swear it's the key to getting good sleep in a hotel or in a guest room. I think having the constant of these at bedtime helps me feel like I'm in a routine. I also sleep with a white noise app playing on my phone, and this really helps when sleeping elsewhere (have even converted people I've dated into using them).

6. What's the one place you're embarrassed to say you've never been? Italy. Not so much embarrassed, but people are always surprised I've never made it there.

Comments

  1. Have you ever been to New Zealand? That's there my brother is thinking of going for their honeymoon...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment