The Skinny on Lasik, Part 3

Part 1 here


So, where did we leave off? Oh, yes, the ride home from the doctor. They did a good job of outlining what would happen that night. The most common feeling people have after Lasik is that "sand was thrown in their eyes". Your eyes water, burn, feel gritty, etc. 

So I put on my big sunglasses (can't touch my eyes, remember?) and am led to a waiting Uber by M. At this point, I can't open my eyes--they're burning, watering, opening them is impossible. After a terrible Uber ride home, I can't wait to fall asleep, which is what the doctor recommends. 

Except I can't. My eyes just hurt. They're burning, watering, keeping them closed hurts, opening them hurts, the slightest bit of light hurts. My eyes are also aching dully. 

So timeout--they said the first few hours would be the worst of the pain/discomfort, but most people just take a nap through it. I wish I could have. Because my eyes were watering, my nose also stopped up. So I can't breathe or open my eyes. I was quite the handful. 

But, the whole time I kept telling myself that this would pass. I knew it would only last a few hours. My doctor called to check on me around 5:30 p.m. and I tell him how lousy I feel, he assures me that it will pass. I tell him I know, but that I wish it would just hurry up. 

Then, literally as soon as I was starting to feel really sorry for myself, things got much better. My eyes stopped watering as much, they didn't hurt as much, and I was able to actually get up and walk around my apartment. M came over and brought me a salad and some Tylenol PM. I've neve rbeen so happy to go to bed. 

At night, you sleep with a "shield", basically a flat pair of goggles that keep you from rubbing your eyes in the night. Spoiler: didn't stop me. Found myself in the middle of the night pulling my shield away and reaching for my eyes. So, yeah, take that, shield manufacturers. 

For the first few days, I was always wearing some sort of eyewear. I have lots of sunglasses as well as regular glasses with no prescription (I wear them as computer glasses), so I was always wearing these until Monday. I did it party to keep me from rubbing my eyes, but also to keep an errant leaf or something hitting my eyes and damaging my vision for life, haha. Your eyes are most vulnerable during the first 48 hours, as that's when a lot of the initial healing takes place.

For the first week, you're on a regimen of lots of eye drops. An antibiotic, a steroid, and artificial tears (which you have to put in every 30 mins) keep you busy. But it keeps your eyes from getting dry, which is a common symptom of Lasik. You also can't wear eye make-up. I've since gone back to mascara, but haven't added in eyeshadow or eyeliner. And, honestly, I really like not wearing eye make-up. I don't know if I'll ever go back to my previous eye make-up regimen (well, probably will), but right now it takes me less time to get ready in the morning! 

I've seen the doctor twice and my eyes are healing "perfectly" and my vision fluctuates between 20/15 and 20/20. My biggest complaint right now is dry-eye, which could hang around for as long as a year. But, honestly, it's worth it. I still forget that I'm not wearing contact lenses. I travel and don't have to pack solution or glasses. I can see as soon as I wake up in the morning. I can see things in my shower (like the fact that I need to clean it more). I can see more clearly than I could with contacts. 

And that's my Lasik story. Let me know if you have any questions I didn't answer! And if you need someone to convince you to get it, give me a holler!

Comments

  1. My eyes started watering reading this! Glad you did it and I'm sure I would be thrilled if I did it too. One expensive procedure at a time. ha.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment