Thursday, March 9, 2017

Thursday Thoughts

I've had so many ideas for blog posts, but never the time to sit down and write them. So hopefully those will be coming up soon (like books I've read in the last six months, what I'm watching on TV right now). So here's a round-up of thoughts I've had over the last few weeks:

--You know you're an Instant Pot fan when, instead of being in bed at 11 p.m. last night, you're straining chicken bones from the latest pot of bone broth you made.

--I've flown 10 times this year (10 separate flights). Three of those flights have faced some sort of delay (two of them were major, hours-long delays, one which made me postpone my flight until the next day). I feel like this is about my average--a third of the flights I take have an issue. Who wants to fly with me now??

--I've started ordering swimsuit items for this summer. Have finally gotten on the ball and realized I can't wait until June to update things (like when I realized my black bottoms from 2006 no longer had elasticity--as I was getting out of a pool last summer #oops) because every place is picked over. So, though my bod is not beach ready, let's go, Target/Old Navy/Gap!

--I've recently upped my skincare regimen and, while I feel like it takes me SO MUCH LONGER to get ready for bed, I've actually started to enjoy the routine. It's nice to have about ten minutes before bed where I'm not watching TV or looking at my phone, but instead just in my bathroom, exfoliating, moisturizing, etc. I also do various masks a few times a week (WHO AM I?!) and am looking forward to seeing my dermatologist to see what he says at my annual mole patrol appointment (which, sidenote: everyone does this right? goes to the derm once a year to check for anything suspicious? I don't necessarily have a history of skin cancer in my family, and am usually vigilant about sunscreen, but you can never be too careful!)

--I've started wearing a heart rate monitor when I work out (I got it for free with a package at my old gym). I find it fascinating. In the same vein as Fitbits, you learn way too much about your stats and how hard you're working. I also feel like I've always heard that machines and different websites way overestimate the number of calories burned during a workout. While Flywheel is usually off by about 100 calories, I've found that most websites and such are not giving me enough calories burned. Between Flywheel and a few different circuit classes, I'm burning between 600 and 800 calories per session. And it shows me where there are spikes in my heart rate, which I can align to what I was doing in class. Just saying. FASCINATING.

--Kids books these days. I'm lucky in that the kids in my life all love to read and be read to, and I have so much fun picking out books for them. I'm also a tough critic--don't get me started on Llama Llama books (A, you've had to hear my wrath about this too many times). Giraffes are also my favorite animal, and they're having quite a moment in books right now. Here's a few of my favorites: Giraffes Can't Dance (grab the tissues for this one, I rarely read it without getting choked up), There's a Giraffe in My Soup, and A Giraffe and a Half. Shout-out to The Day the Crayons Quit, a book that's fun for kids and adults (true story: I read it to an audience of ONLY ADULTS last week, and we were all laughing).

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those people refusing to wear winter clothes once spring begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment