Sunday, March 19, 2017

The Old Bookshelf

So the last time I posted only about books was over a year ago. Buckle up and here we go (in no particular order):

Talking As Fast As I Can, Lauren Graham: I got this book after seeing Lauren speak live here in DC. As a big Gilmore Girls and Parenthood fan, there was no way I wasn't going to read this. It's a quasi-memoir and journal, filled with some fun nuggets about her early career, filming her shows, as well as her relationship with Peter Krause. It feels like a conversation with an old friend.

The Assistants, Camille Peri: A throw-away beach read, perhaps. I read it in a day. It's a story of low-level workers at a large corporation who embezzle money to help others. Overall, pretty silly.

Commonwealth, Ann Patchett: I was really excited about this book as it got a lot of buzz. It tells the story of how one action at a kid's christening party in the 70s changes two families drastically. I honestly thought it fell a little flat.


Image result for talking as fast as i canImage result for lady of empire book
Image result for daring greatly bookImage result for between the world and me by ta-nehisi coates

Lucy and Linh, Alice Pung: Do you want to see what middle school is like today? Then read this book. And be happy we aren't back in middle school.

Daring Greatly, Brene Brown: Everyone needs to read this book. That's all I have to say.

Daughter of Empire, Lady Pamela Hicks: If you like the royals and The Crown, this book is for you.

The Nightingale, Kristen Hannah: I've read a LOT of Kristen Hannah books, but this one is a departure for her--historical fiction. It follows two sisters in France in WWII, each fighting in their own way. Honestly, it was pretty slow at times, but the last few chapters had me crying on a plane.

Between the World and Me, Ta-Nehisi Coates: Very relevant to today's climate, it's written as a letter to his son about what it means to be a black man.




1 comment:

  1. I need to read "Daughter of Empire!" I bet I'd like it. Thanks for the tip! :)

    ReplyDelete