Sunday, March 26, 2017

Active

Growing up in a red state, I was never really into politics. I did make campaign signs for Kay Bailey Hutchinson when she was running for Senate in 1992 (I was seven, mind you) and hung them from my desk (yes, I had friends, no, they didn't understand what the signs were). But that was mainly because I heard we had a chance to have a lady Senator from Texas, and I was like "I may want to be a Senator one day, blaze a trail, KBH!"

I voted once I was eligible (at least for President, can't say I made it to any mayoral or off-year gubernatorial elections #sorry), and felt such a swelling pride when I voted for Obama in 2008 (hummed The West Wing theme song as I left the polling place).

Then I moved to DC, and made friend with people who worked for the actual elected officials, people who worked on campaigns, and was just surrounded by conversation by politically-minded folks. I felt more informed, and also more passionate..

This is where I take a sidebar to say I recognize I live in an echo chamber. I'm surrounded by mostly like-minded people and we all think the same things. I'm not saying this is good. It's not. But it is what it is.

Fast forward to this fall, when I start donating to campaigns. I canvas in Pennsylvania for Hillary (a disheartening time, which foreshadowed election day). On November 9, I cried three times before 10 a.m. I booked a ticket out of town for election day.

In the past few months, I've been much more politically minded, and then this week, got a survey from the DNC about priorities for the next few years. I'll let my instagram stories tell the rest:





So, I guess my point is, get active? Regardless of your political views, I guarantee you--you have them. I'm not saying talk about politics all the time or put a sign in your yard, but get to know your elected officials and their views. Tell them what you agree with and what you don't. They work for YOU. And everyone is owed a performance review.


No comments:

Post a Comment