Monday, January 2, 2017

Not So Sweet, '16

2016 is not a year that I want to relive. When I think about all the things that happened earlier in the year, it feels so long ago. Between celebrity deaths (Yes, I cried on Christmas while watching Love, Actually because Alan Rickman died) and the election, I felt like there wasn't an escape from any of the bad news.

A recap of 2016 for me, personally:

A look at my 2016 resolutions, originally found here.

--Run 400 miles (roughly 8 a week). If I manage a half-marathon, this should take care of itself, but still, I want to keep running regularly. 
Well, getting pneumonia in January really tanked this goal. I took time off from the gym in general, and then had to start back slowly. Even with running my half-marathon and all the training, I think I only hit about 250 miles. 

--Take two classes. I took ballroom dance this fall and really liked it. I may take another dance class, but also want to look into learning French. 
Whelp, this also didn't happen. French wasn't taught this fall, and finding classes that work with my schedule proved difficult. 

--Learn to meditate (I have an app that will teach me, I just need to remember to do it)
I tried this off and on. I actually have employed some meditation habits, I should actually finish the app's 10-day meditation guide.

--Take yoga once a weekHuzzah! A resolution I kept. I do yoga about 3-4 times a month (hot yoga mainly) and am really liking it. I've gotten to the point where I want to actually do some more advanced poses. It helps that the studio I go to is a 7 minute walk from my house. 

--FINALLY make photobooks for all the photos I've taken since college *gulp*
Another resolution I've kept! I actually went back to photos from college and made books for sophomore and junior year, as well as some of the years leading up to now. Moving forward I think I'm going to utilize Chatbooks to make a photo book of my instagram each year. 



Bests:
Book: Station Eleven and Eligible
Movie: Brooklyn
Song: "Closer" The Chainsmokers
TV Shows: Game of Thrones/The Crown/Younger
Meal: Rose's Luxury birthday dinner in August

Other notable things this year:
Ran my fifth half marathon
Attended one wedding
Officially joined my church in DC
Celebrated the births of kiddos to four close friends
Went to the Kennedy Center five times
Went to Vegas and didn't play blackjack
Completed another Whole30
Went to the ER (pneumonia in January)

So, 2016, it's been real. 2017, low bar but don't disappoint. 


2 comments:

  1. I am with you. 2016 was the worst. Ready for 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what's going on, but sending you good thoughts! Here's to 2017 being a positive year for all.

      Delete