Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Summer TV, How I Love Thee

I posted to the Twitters recently that summer travels make it really hard to keep up with all the TV I want to watch in the summer (first world problems, amiright?!). Then I got a request to write a blog post about summer TV, so here we are.

Now, summer TV to me means both shows that are only on in the summer, as well as a time when I catch up on shows from the regular season that I missed. Below are the highlights:

Summer Season Shows





Royal Pains: This is the show that's currently on TV that I've been watching the longest. I started watching it in 2009 (its first season) when I would go to the gym Saturday mornings and it would be on TV. It's hard to believe that was seven years ago, but this show kept me coming back each summer (and occasionally in the winter when they'd have a 5-episode winter season). The premise, a doctor from Brooklyn opens a concierge medical business in the Hamptons, expanded as the series went on and more characters joined the show over the past seven years, but it was always entertaining and I actually cared about the people on the show. The series finale airs this Wednesday, and I'm a little bummed to see all my Hamptons friends go.

Playing House: A discovery to me last year, this show became one of my favorites immediately. A 30 minute comedy about two best friends, one who's divorced with a baby, and the other is a successful businesswoman who moves back to their small hometown to help raise the baby. This is one of the smartest, funniest comedies on TV right now, so catch up on seasons 1 and 2 post-haste (I watched these seasons over Labor Day weekend, so you can knock them out quickly). Season 3 was not a given, I actually wrote to USA network about the need to renew the show (which I don't think I've ever done?), so when it was announced in January, I was THRILLED. The release date hasn't been announced, but you can bet I will be waiting with baited breath until then.

UnREAL: Another new discovery to me last year. A fictional behind the scenes look at a show like The Bachelor, created by a former producer for The Bachelor. I don't watch The Bachelor or it's spin-offs, but this show is addicting, partly because of how crazy things get, but also because, I don't really think it's that far from the truth. I sometimes even watch this show in REAL TIME. WITH COMMERCIALS. High praise.

Ballers: This is kind of the perfect summer show. Easy to watch and forgettable (I don't even remember the main character's name . . . ) The Rock plays a former pro-football player who now advises current players on financial matters. It's fascinating to see how people in the financial industry chase after these players, and how people who were just handed millions of dollars react to sudden wealth (spoiler: not well). The new season starts this month, I think, so catch up on the first season now.


Playing Catch-up:





Two shows I'm adding to my summer list now that their seasons are available in totality (I support binge-watching TV). I've watched a few episodes of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and hear it only gets better, so I'm interested to see what happens with it. And, I haven't watched the new episodes of The Mindy Project from the spring, so I'll be catching back up with Dr. Lahiri and the gang.

Anything I need to add to my list?


No comments:

Post a Comment