What I've Read Lately

Clearly, we may never reach the epic reading proportions of 2014 (and, since it burned me out on reading, I'm ok with that). But I've tackled some books since the fall that I'd thought I'd share with you.





Fates and Furies, by Lauren Groff

A book club book, this novel got a lot of praise and was shorlisted for the National Book Award. It's the tale of a marriage told from both the husband and wife's perspective. It reminded me a bit of The Goldfinch in that the husband's part was a bit bildungsroman (sorry to bust out the English class verbiage, but it captures my issues with it so succintly), but I really enjoyed the wife's part (or rather, read it quickly). 

So if we were doing star ratings, which I guess we can, I'd give it 3 out of 5.

In the Unlikely Event, by Judy Blume

Yes, that Judy Blume, who wrote about being a Fourth Grade Nothing and Margaret and puberty. She's ventured into adult books, and this one is the fictional telling of a winter in Elizabeth, NJ when three commercial airliners crashed in the city within months of each other. This actually happened. The book is honestly depressing, but does really capture what I imagine the emotions and psyche of the town was like during that time. 

2 out of 5 stars



Notorious RBG, by Irin Carmon

Another book club book (which I picked). Billed as a graphic novel (which it isn't, but it does have pictures), it chronicles the life of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paying particular attention to how groundbreaking she's been in both her early legal career and time on the bench. The most endearing part of the book, however, is the chapter about her and late husband, and how much he supported her in her career and at home. I really hope I run into her out and about in DC.

3 out of 5 stars

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry, by Gabrielle Zevin

This is one of those books that's very "your life can change in an instant" focused. AJ Fikry owns a struggling bookstore on Cape Cod (I think), and his life has been changed in an instant, twice. Don't want to spoil too much, but it's a sweet and sad book about how a curmudgeon can find a reason to be happy. 

3 out of 5 stars


Why Not Me?, by Mindy Kaling

I am on the record as LOVING her first book, so I pre-ordered this as soon as it was available. Did I love it as much? No. But Mindy is still the woman in comedy with whom I'm most aligned in terms of our approach to life, and I truly enjoyed this read. On a beach. With a drink in my hand. 

3 out of 5 stars



All the Light We Cannot See, by Anthony Doerr

This book had all the accolades leading up to it. And, it honestly stressed me out a whole lot while reading it. Beautifully written, it follows two children from the beginning of WWII through the end, and even some time after. One is a blind, French girl, the other is a German boy, and, yes, their paths cross at some point. This book, like The Book Thief (another favorite), illustrated how terrible it was to be a German citizen during WWII, a tale I don't think is told often. I also read this book when I had pneumonia and was recovering, so I may have missed a few key pieces of plot . . . 

4 out of 5 stars


So, as you can see, no book really blew me away in this bunch. I'm currently reading Dead Wake by Erik Larsson and The Happiness Project by Gretchen Ruben (I love her podcast, Happier, so figured I'd give this book a try). 

What are you reading right now?

Comments

  1. My not school book lately has been My Kitchen Year, by Ruth Riechl. Part memoir, part cookbook. Just how I like 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read Garlic & Sapphires, about her time at the NY Times? Similar format. I read it during my reading blitz in 2014 and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't love All the Light...too slow for me. I thought I would like it so much better. Judy Blumes book is on my list. Did you read her book Summer Sisters? I am currently reading the Goldfinch. I loved it at first and now it is dragging a bit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Summer Sisters (or maybe I have? The title sounds familiar). So, I hated The Goldfinch, partly because to started to drag and was 750 pages. But I seem to be in the minority on that!

      Delete

Post a Comment