Oh, I'll Follow

Yes, I saw the news. Or the rumor? That Netflix is going to revive Gilmore Girls for potentially four 90 minute episodes.

It's a rumor, but a good one. Wondering where to get started on this fantastic series? Here are a few suggestions.

Episodes to start with:

Season 2, Episode 7: Like Mother, Like Daughter--gives you a good snapshot of the major conflicts of the show--Lorelai and Rory trying to keep their small town life while also tolerating the private prep school-funded-by-formerly-estranged-grandparents cliques and politics (also one of my favorites)

Season 1, Episode 6: Rory's Birthday Parties--the best intro episode into the tight-knit (and from a psychological perspective, very unhealthy) relationship between Lorelai and Rory, as well the relationship with the grandparents.

Season 2, Episode 16: There's the Rub--this is my favorite episode of the entire series. Every character in this is ON POINT.

Season 3, Episode 7: They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They?--While most of my favorite episodes are in season 2, Season 3 is the most consistent season in my opinion. So many are good, it's hard to pick just one. But this one further the plot of the entire series, and provides a succinct snapshot of the Stars Hollow life.

One last suggestion, I recently started listening to the podcast Gilmore Guys--two guys who work in comedy (I think they met at Upright Citizens Brigade?). One of them has seen Gilmore Girls, one of them hasn't, and they discuss Every. Episode. They have guests discuss episodes with them (some of the best episodes are with guests who've only seen one episode of Gilmore Girls, they have really interesting insights), as well as interviews with minor members of the cast and crew (the one with the casting directors is especially fascinating). Highly recommend it as well.


(confession: I just watched this video to see which season it was from, and I'm pretty sure its from season 5. But I can also tell you almost every episode the scenes are from. Guys, I was apparently more obsessed with this show than I thought)

Comments