Monday, October 26, 2015

A Day in the Life: 10/21/2015

I've always kind of intended on doing a "day in the life" post, but when you work a 9-5, it's not the most thrilling thing to compile (or read, haha). However, I now work from home two days a week, so thought I would show a quasi-typical day in the life when I work from home--mainly because some people are like "how do you work from home?!" and also to give a brief snapshot as to what I have going on in my life right now.

Age: 30

Date: October 21, 2015

7:55 a.m. Wake up, even though alarm is set for 8:30. I feel like I'm fighting off the beginnings of a cold, so I decided to sleep through my typical 7:30 a.m. gym class. I'll catch a noon spin class instead.

8:30 a.m.: dressed in workout clothes and have my contacts in, so it's time to get the day started. I make a breakfast bowl--spiralized sweet potato and a poached egg, but still feel a bit hungry, so I cook up a chicken apple sausage as well.

My snazzy work from home outfit. Bare feet don't care. 


Said chicken apple sausage

9:30 a.m.: hard at work at the high-top table I use as my work station (and as a result, stand most of the day, cheapest standing desk ever!). I recently started wearing computer glasses to help alleviate digital eye strain, and have to say--THEY WORK! Here's a pair similar to mine.

Snazzy computer glasses and bandaged thumb--sliced it on my spiralizer. Biggest #firstworldproblem is having your right thumb bandaged. 


I draft and schedule social media messages for my channels for next week and work on a newsletter draft for later this week.


10:00 a.m. I make my coffee--my work from home brew is Trader Joe's Cold Brew. My concoction today is 1/2 cup cold brew concentrate, 1 cup water, 1/3 cup coconut milk, and 1 TB cocoa powder. Blend 'er on up and start sipping.



During this time, I'm also Gchatting with a few friends--discussing Halloween costume plans (we're all going to the same party this weekend) and general life updates.

11:40 a.m. I leave for spin class. My gym is approx. 16 minutes from my apartment, so I walk briskly to get there. The lights aren't timed right for me to walk through Dupont Circle (a shortcut and also nice to walk through) so I scoot around it and snap a pic (sidenote: the pic turned out terrible so I'm not sharing)

Noon: Spin class! I am the only attendee. I've had the instructor a few times before (she's new to the gym and a fellow Texan!), so we chat a bit and she tailors the ride to what I want/need. We do 45 minutes of hills and sprints, and it wasn't awkward at all. Yes, all the feedback was specifically for me, but it was nice to feel like we were on the same team rather than her barking orders at me.



1 p.m.: I stop by Safeway (affectionately know as Soviet Safeway for frequently being completely out of an item--like all bread, and for having questionable produce)

I needed carrots, big spender. 


1:15 p.m. Spotify does me a solid and plays a song I've had in my head for a few weeks. Man, this takes me right back to summer 2006. And the lyrics are so catchy! Gahhh, Nelly Furtado, where are you now?

"I want you on my team," "So does everybody else"


1:20 p.m. I saw on the interwebs that a Delorean was parked right by my apartment in honor of Back to the Future Day. Well I have to stop by, right? (truth: never seen that movie)



1:30: shower and cook lunch of turkey burger and zucchini noodles, made with the treacherous Inspiralizer. One thing I love about working from home is that I can actually cook my meals, and not just reheat.

Rest of the afternoon: I work, make a meal plan and grocery list for next week, and Gchat with 2-3 friends. I also do laundry (which is so nice to be able to do at my leisure at a time when no one else is also doing laundry #highriseproblems #dreamingofinunitlaundry)

Please also note my Pottery Barn Teen duvet


6:00-8:30 p.m.: I head to a Junior League meeting, but not before I complain to M on GChat about how I don't want to go and would have to change out of my workout clothes and put on makeup. I suddenly understand all SAHMs who wear only yoga pants and have frizzy hair. Sometimes, its just not worth the effort.



The Junior League meeting was for first and second year actives, and was a chance for us to chat with board members and learn more about JLW leadership (they bribed us with champagne though). For all my whining, I actually really enjoyed it.

8:45 p.m.: I arrive home to see that my roommate has brought the mail in and my replacement Chase Sapphire card has arrived! I lost mine at a bar last week (still have no idea how my ID ended up in my wallet and my card didn't . . . ) and given my love of this card, it felt like a big part of my life was missing (don't laugh, there are points on the line). I text my fellow Sapphire carrying friends the good news.

9:00 p.m.: I realize I'm 500 steps short of my steps goal for the day, so I head to the place I would definitely be mayor of it Foursquare was still a thing--the CVS by my apartment. I'm pretty sure I could create a four-course meal for 10 from their grocery section, and swear by their eye make-up remover. I frequent this place at least three times a week (and it shows, they're reported to be one of the most profitable CVS's in the country), and the whole store was redone in the spring and is now . . .  two stories! I think everyone who's visited me has ventured into this store, because its such an integral part of my life here, haha.


Anyways, I pick up a prescription that was waiting and on my way down the escalator, hit my steps goal! Woot!

Rest of night: See that Addams Family Values is on ABC Family! I LOVE this movie. My parents and I quote it regularly, I shoot them a text that it's on and settle in to watch it while updating Mint (budgeting, they can never get some categories right), and checking the tracking on a few orders I'm expecting. I chat with M via Snapchat about her Halloween costume and realize I still need to finish a few components of mine

If you haven't watched this movie yet, you need to GET ON IT.
10:50ish--finally head to bed. Realize I haven't seen my roommate or a friend at all today, a rare solitary day in my life. Will make up for it this weekend by seeing all the friends all the time.

4 comments:

  1. Loved this post! I also love that you work from home two days a week now; that has to be SO nice. And yes, I am in yoga pants 4/7 days of the week for that very purpose! If I actually get dressed and put makeup on, I feel like we have to do ALL THE THINGS that day. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You live near Dupont? Our reception is at The Whittemore House right next to Dupont Circle Hotel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Without giving too much away to the internet strangers, I live very close to your reception venue! What a beautiful place--so excited for you! (And now want to crash your wedding, but won't, haha!)

      Delete
    2. OMG. Just show up after dinner...everyone will be drunk and won't know :) Or show up to the church! Anyone can come to that! Ha.

      Delete