What I've Been Reading Lately



Don't get too comfy, this won't be a long post. I've read a few books since I last posted, but my kindle's screen cracked a few weeks ago, which means I'm relegated to my iPad, where I have to finish a book in 3 weeks or it gets deleted (thanks, DC library).

But, a few to mention:

The Royal We: Recommended to me by my college roommate, this book was right up my alley. It's written by the girls of Go Fug Yourself, and is essentially Kate Middleton fan fic. Imagine if Prince William was instead Prince Nicholas, and Kate Middleton was an American named Rebecca, who studies abroad at Oxford and meets, falls in love with, and gets engaged to the future king of England (I'm not spoiling anything, you know all of this in the first chapter). However, it's more than just a giddy pauper-to-princess story. It digs into the insane world a future princess is thrust into, the protocols of royal life, and the psychological toll of being in the spotlight all the time.

A Royal Wedding: A Princess Diaries Novel: The last in the Princess Diaries series (oh you didn't know it was a series? You didn't know there are like FIFTEEN books in the series? Meg Cabot made her money), and written for adults and not teens, this book features Mia marrying her high school boyfriend, Michael. I'm not linking to it because its TERRIBLE. I read it in a day in Greece, and whoa, so bad. 

It Was Me All Along: I read the blog, Can You Stay For Dinner, a healthy living and recipe blog written by Andie Mitchell, a woman roughly my age who struggled with her weight from childhood through college. I don't think I realized the extent of her struggle or the psychological issues she faced until I read her memoir. It's not the most riveting thing ever, but it is very honest and insightful into issues we all might face when trying to get healthier, including the obsession that can set in when you reach a goal but are afraid of backsliding.


In addition to these books, I started a few more, but didn't get around to finishing them:
Somerset (the prequel to Roses) by Leila Meacham
Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler


Up next:

Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling
I'm SO excited about this book, given my love of her first book. I pre-ordered it from Amazon, but am waiting until my biz trip to Chicago this weekend is over to dive in (or else I'll read the entire thing on the plane and then be sad its over)

In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr (the book you've seen on every "Best of" list.) My mom has a copy I plan on reading over the holidays.

Have you read any of these? Any recommendations I need to follow?

Comments

  1. I cannot wait to read In the Unlikely Event!
    I did read All the Light and really liked it.
    Highly recommend An Untamed State by Roxane Gay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't comment back on my blog...I have some sort of block and can't figure out how to change it Ha. Anyway, wanted to answer you! We are hoping to move right outside of DC (as in 2 miles from the line.) Season Nats tickets...excellent idea. Maybe I can give them to RJ for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment