Monday, July 7, 2014

The Old Bookshelf

So, I'll be honest, I hit a snag with the book challenge. Europe came and went and I only read three books (one of which I really didn't like). I then started two books and couldn't finish them (luckily, I was only about a quarter of the way through them). So I took a little time off, and read a book that my uncle is writing to offer him feedback. I then downloaded a bunch of easy beach reads for a resort vacay, and am now back in the swing of things!

Here are the deets:

The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty: I read her other book earlier this year, What Alice Forgot. This book is a pretty easy read, and it's decent. More serious than the cover of the book suggests, but worth a read.

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach: I had really high hopes for this book. It's about a college baseball team and some of the surrounding characters (but really isn't a sports book, so don't let that deter you). When I was about halfway through, I was shocked that I still had THREE HUNDRED pages to go. It's really long and doesn't need to be.

This is the Story of a Happy Marriage by Anne Patchett: essentially a collection of essays. Not my favorite book this year, but it made me want to read her other books, so I guess that's a good thing?

Unnamed book by my uncle: (really just listing this to keep myself honest about the number of books I've read).

This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper: this book has been on my Kindle for two years. And apparently it's being made into a  movie with Tina Fey?! I feel so ahead of the times. It's a look at a family that is way more dysfunctional than yours, but you'll find yourself laughing out loud (and happy that you don't have to sit shiva).

The Vacationers by Emma Straub: total beach read--about a family and their friends on vacation in Mallorca. Some of the reviews I've read have been way too complimentary. There is nothing groundbreaking or especially stirring. It's just a beach read.

The One and Only by Emily Giffin: So, I have a love-like relationship with her books. I LOVE Something Borrowed, like a few others, and really enjoyed Where the Heart Belongs. However, this book is TERRIBLE. The only reason I finished is because I kept waiting for it to get good. I rated it on GoodReads today (one star) and so many of the other reviews said the same thing as me. The book never develops characters, glosses over major plot developments with no explanation, and feels like it was phoned in. I read the acknowledgements, and she thanks someone for providing massive edits. I'd hate to see the first draft of this. 

In case you're keeping score, I'm exactly halfway through my challenge. 25 books down, 25 to go, and half the year left. Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment