The Bookshelf, April Edition


Happy to report that things are trucking along with my resolution to ready 50 books this year (currently reading #16). Thanks to a book I finished in 24 hours, I ended up reading five books in March. Huzzah!

Luckily, I really liked the majority of the books I've been reading lately. Very few were ones I slogged through.

My favorites:


                 


Me Before You, by JoJo Moyes: Run, don't walk, to the bookstore, Amazon.com, the library to get this book. DO NOT read a synopsis or description, it ends up sounding like a Lifetime movie. Just know that its about two unlikely friends who end up changing each others' lives forever.

Roses, by Leila Meacham: I read about this book in Texas Monthly, as it's written by a Texas author, about a fictional small town in Texas. Apparently Barbara Bush is a big fan of the book. Anyways, its about a small town in Texas where three prominent families end up entangled over the course of several generations. It's a bit long, but really really good.


Others on the "read" pile:




Let's Pretend This Never Happened, by Jenny Lawson: Another case of someone thinking they're funnier than they actually are. This is a memoir by one of the first "mommy bloggers" and I just didn't find it that funny.

Insurgent, by Veronica Roth: the second book in the Divergent series. I like the story and thought this furthered the plot well, but the writing itself wasn't that great. It also seemed a bit teen angsty at times, lots of feelings and talking about feelings.

What Alice Forgot, by Liane Moriarty: I actually saw this book on the shelf at a bookstore last year, read the back, and thought it looked good. It's a similar premise as the book Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella, but much better. A quick read, but a good one.

The Interestings, by Meg Wolitzer: I'm sure everyone has seen this book in stores (a way to move copies, have a bright, fun cover!). The story of a group of friends who meet at a fine arts camp and their lives over the next 30 years. A little uneven at times, but still a good tale of friendship and how it changes.

How Did You Get This Number, by Sloane Crossley: I enjoyed Crossley's last book of essays, I Was Told There'd Be Cake, but I honestly don't recall a thing about this book. Soooo, not that memorable . .
.

The Giver, by Lois Lowry: I feel very with the times because the movie is coming out this year (never mind that the average age of readers of this book is 11 years old). Such a fascinating look at another dystopian society and what happens if all emotion is taken away--yet you still need one person to remember how it used to be. I'm looking forward to the movie.


Next up:
Eleanor & Park (currently reading)
Life After Life
Looking for Alaska
Somerset (the prequel to Roses)

Comments

  1. I needed some book recommendation! I didn't know they are making The Giver a movie! I am so excited. I loved that book (my middle schoolers read it when I was a teacher.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment