Wednesday, March 5, 2014

I May Need a Bigger Bookshelf

So I made a handful of New Year's resolutions, many of which are boring and mundane which I won't be sharing. However, one resolution I need people to A. hold me accountable to and B. might actually be interested in?

Read 50 books this year.

Ok, even typing that stressed me out.

BUT, I'm on book 9, so here's what's been on the ole Kindle lately:



Favorite book so far: Reconstructing Amelia, by Kimberly McCreight. This is a scary look at high school today, focused around the investigation of a girl's suicide at an upscale New York prep school.

Least Favorite: The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt. Least favorite is being generous. I truly hated this book. Not only is no one in the book someone you can root for, but its 800 pages when things could be summed up in about 300. This was one of the top books in 2013, and the reviews make me wonder if I read the same book. One person described reading it as "drinking every delicious word". Gag. Don't waste your time.  

1. The Lowland, by Jhumpa Lahiri: one of those books that grew on me. I thought it was good, but not necessarily epic in the way I've heard it described. It's startling how one person's decision can alter so many lives.

2. When You Are Engulfed in Flames, by David Sedaris: this is where my Sedaris train ends. I had "confession time" with a likeminded friend, where we both admitted we don't like David Sedaris books. I think that he thinks he's much funnier than he actually is. I get that a lot of people LOVE him, but just not my thing.

3. Divergent, by Veronica Roth: with the movie coming out, and the comparisons to The Hunger Games, I decided to give this a try. Another book that took me awhile to get into it (or rather, care about any of the characters), but I ended up liking it. Not a page-turner like The Hunger Games, but I was entertained.

4. Sharp Objects, by Gillian Flynn: The same author as Gone Girl, but a much creepier (and graphic) story. I was glad to have finished it while sitting on a train surrounded by people.

5. Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake, by Anna Quindlen: perhaps an odd choice for me, since its a book of essays about getting old and hitting retirement, but Quindlen came of age in a time of vast change for women in the workplace and in the home, and I found a lot of it relevant.

6. The Giver, by Lois Lowry: Yup, no genre is off limits, I even read something meant for junior high kiddos. I remember not being allowed to read this book about a futuristic, dystopian society where emotion is eliminated and everyone must conform. I wish I'd read it when I was younger as I wonder what my reaction would have been . . .



Before you think I don't have a life, let me point out that this resolution isn't taking over my life. I'm watching a little less TV, grabbing 15 minutes here and there to watch. And making sure my Kindle is loaded up when I'm about to get on a train or a flight. Stay tuned, folks.

Up next: How Did You Get this Number, Labor Day, and a yet unpublished book by my uncle!

No comments:

Post a Comment