Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A look ahead and a look back . . .



Happy New Year! I'm still recovering from 2013 and slowly making my resolutions for 2014, but realized I need to adequately mark a very momentous year in my life. 

I like year-end recaps, and a blogger I read, She Likes Purple, posts a pretty good one that I thought I'd mimic for 2013:

1. What did you do in 2013 that you'd never done before? 
Moved cross-country, living outside of the Republic of Texas for the first time.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year? 
I was surprised at a) the frivolity of my resolutions at times and b) that I kept more of them than I thought I would. I’m definitely making more for 2014, but don’t beat myself up for not keeping them.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I took on fun aunt status for Baby Oliver and have a few more little ones on the way in 2014!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Thankfully, no, but too many people close to me lost loved ones.
5. What countries did you visit?
Stayed landside this year, but looking forward to a Europe family trip in May
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you didn't have in 2013? 
More time to see friends both near and far. And more vacation days.
7. What dates from 2013 will be etched upon your memory, and why? 
March 11—my start date at my new job in DC and the official start of my new DC life.
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
Not to be a broken record, but finally taking the leap to move to DC. Leaving the only city I’ve ever known and really not knowing if I would succeed in DC.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I feel like I was living a healthy lifestyle in Texas, but in DC I threw myself into the social scene and let some of my healthy habits slide. I skimped on sleep, had a few too many glasses of wine, and didn’t keep up my running as much.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Other than a terrible head cold when I first moved to DC (it lasted three weeks and in hindsight I should have seen a doctor).
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Hmmm, my bed perhaps?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My cheering squad made up of friends, family, and former coworkers supporting me while I was going through tough stuff at the beginning of the year.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Facebook brings out the worst in people—I call it keyboard courage, so let’s just say there are some folks who are no longer on my friend list.
14. Where did most your money go?
Probably food—between groceries, coffee, and dining out, it adds up.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My first trip home in May, catching up with friends during a lake weekend.
16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
Blurred Lines, Thrift Shop, Wake Me Up
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Happier
I don’t like “fatter”, but less thin is probably right.
Richer in many ways
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Prioritize catching up with people via phone, Skype, etc.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Dwell on the past.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
At home with my parents and the family dog. It was a lovely day of drinking coffee with Baileys, hanging out in workout pants, watching Friday Night Lights, and reading.
21. Did you fall in love in 2013?
I fell in love with my new life in DC, and with our family dog (in a non-creepy way). He’s brought so much joy to my parents’ lives and is essentially Buddy the Elf in dog form.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
I got into a few new shows this year: Scandal, Parks and Rec, The Mindy Project, and still love Parenthood and New Girl.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Nope.  
24. What was the best book you read?
I read SO many books this year, but I’d say my favorite was The Book Thief, with honorable mentions to The Glass Castle, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Um, probably Spotify? I didn’t discover it this year, but I really used it this year.
26. What did you want and get?
A great apartment in DC, time with my friends near and far, and lots of love and support.
27. What did you want and not get?
There will always be something.
28. What was your favorite film of 2013?
Perhaps Catching Fire? I really loved that movie.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Haha, my birthday this year was hijacked by a family medical emergency, so I spent it cooking casseroles, supervising a cleaning crew, and visiting the hospital (ironically, the one I was born at!). Let’s hope next year isn’t quite as eventful.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Winning the lottery is always an appropriate thing, but I think letting some of the drama out of my life would have helped as well.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2013?
More of the same.
32. What kept you sane?
My friends, baking, happy hour, reading, touring my new city.
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
The healthcare debate. If you complain about something, have a solution.
34. Who did you miss?
My friends scattered all over the place, and the family dog.
35. Who was the best new person you met?
I couldn’t possibly pick a new DC friend, so let’s just group them together, shall we?
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
At the end of the day, you have to be true to yourself. You have to live with yourself and answer to yourself. Don’t let other people’s plans or ideas for you govern your life, you do you, even if that means getting yourself out of a damaging situation.

1 comment:

  1. I'm just now catching up on stalking your blog. Reading this entry just made me miss you even more than I normally do :) So proud of all you've done in 2013 and can't wait to see what 2014 has in store for you. So glad Oliver made the list and remember: hindsight is always 20/20 :)

    ReplyDelete