Thursday, December 26, 2013

On the Bookshelf Recently

I seriously can't say enough good things about being able to download e-books from the DC public library. I think I've read infinitely more books this year since I was in high school (when it was required).

I'm planning on doing a 2013 book round-up, but here are a few recent additions since I last updated:

Maine, by J. Courtney Sullivan: I read Sullivan's first book, Commencement (about a group of friends from college), and really disliked it, but this one seemed different enough that I thought I might like it? It was better than Commencement, but I wasn't really wrapped up in the story.

Where'd You Go Bernadette: I was SO excited for this book. I spent five months on the wait list for it. Anndd I was underwhelmed (which often happens to me when I read a popular book. See: The Nanny Diaries, The DaVinci Code). It's gotten a lot of praise for being a creative way to tell stories (through emails, journal entries, etc.) but I finished it thinking "that's it?"

The Astronaut Wives Club: A fascinating look at the lives of the women married to the first astronauts, the women behind the men we know like Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Jim Lovell. They were treated like celebrities, all the while holding it together not knowing if their husbands would come home from work alive.

Someday, Someday Maybe: I really like Lauren Graham (Gilmore Girls, Parenthood) and not only because she went to grad school at my alma mater. Yet, when I heard she'd written a book, I rolled my eyes. But it actually got good reviews and was being optioned for a TV show, so I gave it a whirl. And you know, I actually liked it. A quick read (finished it on a three-hour flight), and entertainingly sweet.

The Woman Upstairs: This is by the same author as The Emperor's Children (which I couldn't finish), yet I was actually able to finish this one. I found the main character frustrating, she was stuck in a life she'd created and whined about it. Meh.

Defending Jacob: I don't know what it says about me that I downloaded a book about a district attorney who's son is accused of killing his middle school classmate to read over Christmas, but I did. This is really one of those books that keeps you guessing until the end. And you really won't see the end coming.

Stay tuned for 2013 books in review!

No comments:

Post a Comment