Monday, October 7, 2013

What's on the Bookshelf Lately

Thanks to my library card, I've been a reading machine. So I thought I'd share some hits (and misses) from my Kindle:

Hits:

My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor: I didn't think I would love a book by a Supreme Court justice. But I finished her memoir wanting to be her friend. And since I know what apartment building she lives in, this could actually happen! (I'm not a stalker, it's fairly common knowledge in DC) She's not a great storyteller, but it feels like you sat down with a friend for a quick chat and looked up five hours later realizing she'd told you about her whole life.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? By Mindy Kaling: It's no secret that I love The Mindy Project. My love extends to this book (actually, I like it even more). This is the book that I wanted Bossypants to be (I was kind of disappointed by Bossypants, I think Tina and I are at different life stages and can't relate to each other). I feel like Mindy hijacked my thoughts and was way funnier.

The End Of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe: A book editor and his mother (who's dying of cancer) start an informal book club during the last months of her life. A beautiful memoir about how books bring us together and also teach us about each other.


Misses:

Swamplandia: I think I lasted ten pages into this book. I'm going to give it another try at some point, I think it wasn't fitting the bill for what I was looking for.

The Emperor's Children: I was SO excited for this book; it's been on my "must-read" list for years. Yet 100 pages in, I couldn't keep the characters straight and didn't care about any of them.

Seating Arrangements: An impulse check-out, just didn't hold my interest.

Next Up: Maine, The Happiness Project, Where'd You Go Bernadette?

No comments:

Post a Comment