Tuesday, August 27, 2013

All the Single Ladies

Recently at a wedding, the Beyonce anthem started blaring from the speakers. I was in the photobooth with two sorority sisters, and we were arranging the various accessories the photographer had provided. Upon hearing that song, we knew it meant only one thing. We pulled the photobooth curtain closed and discussed how happy we were to be missing "it". "It" being the bouquet toss, of course.

The New York Times recently wrote about the fading popularity of this wedding tradition. They say as the average age of a bride increases (especially in urban areas, like DC), so does the age of her friends who would be considered "eligible" for the bouquet toss. And like the article says, catching the bouquet just isn't that appealing anymore. 

I used to LOVE the bouquet toss. Having attended family and family friends' weddings since I was in preschool, the thought of catching a bunch of pretty flowers (essentially winning a competition, never too young to feel competitive!) was fun, especially since the odds of me being the next to marry were impossible (I didn't grow up in one of those crazy sects where girls were married at 10 years old). 

However, as I got older, and my mid-20s is when I really pinpoint this change, I felt like a spectacle was being made out of us "single ladies". I attended weddings attached and unattached (so being truly single, or just not married) and yet the bouquet toss never held any appeal, and seemed to almost be a pity party for us sans ring. Nothing is sadder than the guest who knocks other people down or lunges in front to grab the bouquet (though I've never seen the scenario in the article, when the bouquet hits the floor and no one picks it up), because what does she think it will change in her life?

Two scenarios that stick with me regarding the bouquet toss:

1. At a wedding in my early 20s, a girl catches the bouquet, and I offhandedly say to a friend that the bouquet toss might actually be an accurate predictor this time, as the catcher was in a serious relationship (and did in fact get engaged shortly thereafter). My friend turns to me and snaps "I can't believe you don't think I'm the next to get married!" Spoiler--the catcher beat her down the aisle by about four years. Point for the bouquet!

2. A wedding in my mid-20s, another friend jumps to the front of the crowd to catch the bouquet. When she catches it, she says something to the effect of it "proving" that she and her bf were meant to be. Spoiler--they've broken up.

Ok, not to say that if you have a bouquet toss at your wedding, or had one, that I will get on a soapbox or make a fuss. I will likely take that time to go to the bar, restroom, photo booth, or outside for fresh air. Its your wedding and you do you. But you know what won't be happening at my wedding (bouquets are expensive, I'm keeping mine!)

2 comments:

  1. I would have hid in the photo booth too. However, not a single one of my friends tossed their bouquet!

    ReplyDelete