A Fond Farewell: The Office


Tonight the office ends it's run after nine seasons. I didn't start watching the show until the fourth season, but quickly caught up on seasons 1-3 (I remember watching season 2 in two days, didn't get a whole lot else accomplished that weekend). What I loved about the show was how normal everything was. The show was about people working in an office. No big celebrity headlined the show (remember, Steve Carrell was "that guy from The Daily Show"), they didn't work in a glamorous industry, and the people themselves weren't glamorous. Yet it was one of my favorite shows, partially because it was part of Thursday night TV watching with my girlfriends, and partially because it was so relatable. While I haven't had a co-worker who owned a beet farm or a boss who burned his foot on a George Foreman grill, it was easy to see parallels in my life (especially since my old company had several dating and married couples working there, though none could compete with Jim and Pam).




Even though I gave up on The Office a year ago, I've still been following all the finale items that have been abounding. Below are some goodies:


--The Office stars say goodbye (kind of random that they include Roy, Pam's fiance from the first two seasons)

--Six Ways The Office Mattered (this is my TV critic soul mate. But not really soul mate because he's a lot older and married, but we have the same opinion about TV shows)


(I think every girl is looking for her Jim. I'm just looking for John Krasinksi, so if you see him . . . )


For my best-of list, I give you the following episodes:

--The Return: This makes no sense why it's my favorite episode. It's the second of a two-parter, and a little dark at times, but I die laughing each time, especially at this part.

--Office Olympics: I reference this episode whenever the office is especially quiet. Anyone up for a game of Flonkerton?

--Email Surveillance: This episode is partly what endears Michael Scott to me

--Cafe Disco: Respect the lei. 

I've lost count as to how many times I've cried at this show (when Jim kissed Pam at the end of season 2, when Jim asked Pam out, when Jim proposed to Pam . . . there's a pattern), heck, I even teared up at the gym one summer when a rerun came on and the theme song made me miss the show (it had been awhile since a new episode, but I must have been having a bad day or something).

So for once, I'll be watching The Office in real time tonight. All two hours of the finale. I really hope Steve Carrell shows up . . .

Adios, Dunder Mifflin Scranton.


“The people who you work with are just, when you get down to it, your very best friends. They say on your deathbed you never wish you spent more time at the office. But I will. Got to be better than a deathbed.” –Michael Scott 

Comments